2 large aubergines, cut into 5mm discs
Olive oil spray
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
700g lean minced beef
600ml jar tomato passata*
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
600g low fat ricotta
125g frozen chopped spinach, thawed
Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Spray the aubergine slices with olive oil and place in a single layer on the baking trays. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until softened and lightly coloured.
- To prepare the meat sauce heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion, celery and garlic for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Increase the heat and add the beef mince. Stir until well coloured. Add the passata, herbs and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Combine the ricotta and spinach in a bowl. Season.
- Spray a 30cm x 20cm baking dish (or 4 individual dishes) with olive oil. Place a layer of aubergine in the base, topped by 1/3 of the ricotta mix evenly spread, then ½ of the meat mixture. Repeat then add another layer of aubergine and a layer of ricotta.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden on top. If necessary you can brown the top further by placing it under the grill.