Immerse yourself in the rich and aromatic flavours of South Africa with our Spicy Cape Malay Lentil Curry with cauliflower rice.
This low-calorie recipe combines protein-packed lentils with a tantalising blend of spices to create a wholesome and satisfying dish. Accompanied by cauliflower rice, it offers a healthier twist on traditional rice. Get ready to embark on a culinary journey through South Africa with this delicious and nutritious recipe.
● 1 cup dried lentils
● 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
● 1 onion, finely chopped
● 2 cloves of garlic, minced
● 1 tablespoon grated ginger
● 1 tablespoon Cape Malay curry powder
● 1 teaspoon ground cumin
● 1 teaspoon ground coriander
● 1/2 teaspoon Tony Ferguson Turmeric Powder
● 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
● 2 cups vegetable broth
● Salt and pepper to taste
● Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (for garnish)
● 1 large cauliflower, grated or processed into “rice”
1. Rinse the dried lentils under cold water and drain. Set aside.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
3. Stir in the Cape Malay curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, and turmeric. Cook for about a minute until the spices become fragrant.
4. Add the lentils to the pot and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture.
5. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and the flavours have melded together.
7. While the lentil curry is simmering, prepare the cauliflower rice. Grate the cauliflower using a box grater or process it in a food processor until it resembles rice grains.
8. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the cauliflower rice. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender but still retains some texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve the spicy Cape Malay lentil curry over a bed of cauliflower rice. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves for a burst of freshness.
Take a culinary adventure through South Africa with our Spicy Cape Malay Lentil Curry served with
cauliflower rice. This wholesome and low-calorie dish combines protein-rich lentils with aromatic
spices, creating a satisfying and flavourful meal. With the added benefit of cauliflower rice, you can
enjoy a healthier alternative to traditional curry. Embrace the warmth and richness of South African
cuisine and savour every spoonful of this delightful dish.
*Calories per serving: 200-250 calories
Macronutrient breakdown: Approximately 10-15g protein, 30-35 g carbohydrates, 5-8g fat
*Macronutrient breakdown: Please note that these macronutrient breakdowns are approximate and can vary depending on specific ingredients.